Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 22 22:06:14 UTC 2009

At 3:36 PM -0500 2/22/09, Mark Mandel wrote:
>Larry wrote, replying to Gerald Walton [full context below]:
>
>>  Or would these all be acceptable to cite because invoking them
>>would involve not *using* but *mentioning* obscene words?
>
>I think so. He and Scot(?) both DID say "use", and all your examples
>are mentions. The difference, of course, is enormous. In explaining it
>to non-linguists in the context of taboo words, I've successfully used
>the analogy of a forensic chemist who WORKS WITH poisons and toxins
>all the time, but never USES them on himself or others.
>
>   forensic chemistry : work with :: linguistics : mention
>
>m a m

Maybe so in general, Mark, but not in the context of this discussion.
You'll recall that the argument for avoiding obscenity was initiated
by Tom Z's, whose response to my posting was as follows:

=================
Worlds collide.

I don't need your vulgar world.

I'm here for kids.  Simple phonetic spelling.  Simplicity of
standardized pronunciation in a way most communicative.  Simple
teaching for enhanced learning of English.

What's important to you has zero importance to me.  In fact it
saddens me.  Slang dosen't bother me.  Gratuitous vulgarity does.
But I can imagine a different response that distinguishes between use
and mention, as noted above.

LH