~ (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Feb 23 05:54:49 UTC 2009

Comments from natives of Massachusetts are appreciated here, but
impressionistically, her most salient feature, the lip /r/, is
probably a dialect feature in Worcester, MA, where she originally
comes from, and I've heard it from a number of people from west of
Boston myself, as well as a number of obviously local contractors on
New England-based programs like This Old House, and the late Sen. and
ex-Presidential candidate Paul Tsongas (from Lowell, MA).  ( Not a
scientific sample, I know--and I'd love to know the distribution of
this feature.  It's not in Providence, RI.)  Otherwise, I hear a
mixture of New York City and New England features, particularly in
her vowel system.

Paul Johnston