Fw: [ADS-L] "slurring"?

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 23 15:11:20 UTC 2009

Randy Alexander wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:59 AM,  <ronbutters at aol.com> wrote:
>> Allegro speech is not "careless" nor is it "slurred". It follows rules that vary from dialect to dialect. Speech in which no allegro rules are followed is not "careful," it is unusual, and sounds stilted.
>
> So we have an acceptable name for one end of the spectrum.  What about
> the other?  I take it "unusual" and "stilted" don't fit the bill.  I
> confess to, like Bill, have used "careful" and "slurred" to describe
> two ends of the phonetic speech change spectrum.  Actually I go past
> "careful" into dictionary pronunciation, where one separates each
> word.
>
> There are environments where this careful (until we have a more
> acceptable term) speech is not stilted, and naturally comes out, such
> as when one is speaking (or shouting) in a noisy environment, or when
> you have to repeat something for someone the umpteenth time because
> they didn't understand it (but should have) no matter how you rephrase
> it.

Björn Lindblom refers to this mode as "hyperarticulated". (His interest
is in the geometry of vowel spaces in modal, hypoarticulated, and
hyperarticulated speech,

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963