Barbara Walters

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Feb 23 18:05:13 UTC 2009

While she was born in Brookline, Mass., Barbara Walters grew up in
Manhattan. I'm not sure exactly when she moved to New York, but it was
fairly early in her childhood. In her late teens, the family moved to Miami.
I'm not sure how valid any ascription of a New England accent would be to
her.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
RonButters at AOL.COM
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 8:42 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Barbara Walters

Some scholar or other attributes BW's intervocalic r-weakening to a Rhode
Island dialect, not Massachusetts. I'm not able to check this now. However,
contrary to what Larry [lawi] said earlier, lablization of /r/ is certainly
not
unknown in various dialects of English (>[babwa waltowz])--cf. Elmer Fudd in
the
old cartoons.

In a message dated 2/23/09 10:59:32 AM, bhneed at GMAIL.COM writes:

> I am not a native of Massachusetts, but i lived north of Boston for
> nine years from 9.5. I never heard anyone up in Essex county who
> sounded like Barbara Walters--and no one ever pronounced my first name
> the way she is stereotyped as saying hers. (I remember people in my
> neck of the woods making fun of her!)
>
> Barbara
>
> Barbara Need
>
> P.S. That I never acquired a Northshore accent was a conscious
> decision on my part. I thought the non-rhoticity and linking-R ugly,
> and I resented being told by my spelling teacher that I had
> mispronounced _aunt_ ([Ant] where [A] is ash). B
>
> On 22 Feb 2009, at 11:54 PM, Paul Johnston wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
> > Subject:      Re: ~ (UNCLASSIFIED)

---

> > Comments from natives of Massachusetts are appreciated here, but
> > impressionistically, her most salient feature, the lip /r/, is
> > probably a dialect feature in Worcester, MA, where she originally
> > comes from, and I've heard it from a number of people from west of
> > Boston myself, as well as a number of obviously local contractors on
> > New England-based programs like This Old House, and the late Sen. and
> > ex-Presidential candidate Paul Tsongas (from Lowell, MA).  ( Not a
> > scientific sample, I know--and I'd love to know the distribution of
> > this feature.  It's not in Providence, RI.)  Otherwise, I hear a
> > mixture of New York City and New England features, particularly in
> > her vowel system.
> >
> > Paul Johnston
> > On Feb 22, 2009, at 4:08 PM, Alison Murie wrote:

> >> -----------------------
> >> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >> Poster:       Alison Murie <sagehen7470 at ATT.NET>
> >> Subject:      Re: ~ (UNCLASSIFIED)
> >> ---------

> >> ~~~~~~~~
> >> Walters?  I've lived most of my life out of range of her voice, but
> >> the few times I have heard it  I have assumed her speech to be
> >> completely idiosyncratic, largely attributable to a speech
> >> impediment,
> >> not a dialect.
> >> AM

Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax professional in your
neighborhood today.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=Tax+Return+Preparation+%26+Filing&a
mp;ncid=emlcntusyelp00000004)