Rare Dialects

Tue Feb 24 14:26:25 UTC 2009

Going to my first real job interview, I deplaned in Midland TX and got into a cab for the ride to the hotel.  The driver turned around and spoke to me.  What he said was unintelligible.  It wasn't Spanish or heavily Spanish accented English, nor any other foreign accent recognizable to me.  I asked him to please repeat (at least I think I was polite).  I didn't get it the second time.  The third time was the charm.  Even on the third try I didn't catch every word, but enough to know that he was simply asking me where I wanted to go.  This was a white male, about 40 years of age.