Is "Disaffirm" a Euphemism?

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Feb 25 00:57:31 UTC 2009

        It's more a matter of the facts than the lingo.  "Disaffirm" has
no special legal meaning, as far as I know.  Sjoblom was under a
disadvantage in choosing his words, because he was legally compelled to
say as little as possible.

        I suppose the implication is that Green thought Sjoblom was
saying he was one of the fraudsters.  I don't know of any facts to
support that conclusion, though.  As far as I know, there have been no
allegations whatsoever against him or his firm.

        In my original post, I was going to make some snide comment
about journalists, but it appears that Green is not actually a
journalist, just a management consultant indulging in public comment.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mark Mandel
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:59 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is "Disaffirm" a Euphemism?

Or because, if you don't know the technical lingo, it looks like a
weasely way of saying "I lied"? Substitute "retract" or "deny" or
"disown" in the Sjoblom quote to see what I mean. Journalists and
commentators should be held to a higher standard, but ISTM that this is
an easy first take on the line.

Mark Mandel

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:

>        Charles H. Green, writing in The Huffington Post, has nominated

> "disaffirm" as "the new leader in the "Mistakes Were Made" category at

> the forthcoming Creative Language awards ceremony," see

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charles-h-green/mini-madoff-scandal-scaleb
_168486.html.