"shade-tree mechanic", not in (some) dictionaries

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 25 14:53:49 UTC 2009

I think that Larry, not being one of those good folks who come from
home, is just trying to get a mental picture of how the phrase came to
be. What kind of experience inspired some good old boy to invent the
phrase and why did others, hearing it, find the expression so apt,
based upon their own experience, that they picked it up and spread it
around? That is, how did the phrase come to be hip?

We homeboys, OTOH, are so familiar with the circumstances that gave
rise to this phrase that trying to deconstruct it is like trying to
explain what "is" is.

-Wilson
–––
-----