"shade-tree mechanic", not in (some) dictionaries

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 25 15:17:17 UTC 2009

At 8:13 AM -0500 2/25/09, Bill Palmer wrote:
>What is the issue?  The widespread use of the phrase?
>
>I have lived all over the US, and, in one circumstance or another, have
>heard the term very often.
>
>Bill Palmer

I haven't lived an entirely sheltered life, having resided in and
around NYC, upstate NY, MA, CA, MI, WI, and CT, and had never heard
the term until encountering in the song noted below, which led me to
suspect that there's a strong regional component to it.  It's also in
neither AHD4 nor the OED, which led me to suspect it's not all *that*
widespread, given the fact that (unlike, say, "tractor mechanic")
it's not entirely transparent.  Perhaps the lexicographers are living
in the shell with me.  (I also imagine it might be more familiar to
mechanics like the Car Talk guys than to non-mechanics like me, so
there would be an argot component as well.)  Is there an etymology
provided somewhere, either confirming or disconfirming my speculation
below?

LH