"shade-tree mechanic", not in (some) dictionaries

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 25 16:01:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Benjamin Zimmer <
bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Not having lived on the other side of the isogloss, I had always assumed it
> was
> simply a fresh-air version of the "armchair" modifier (MWCD: "remote from
> direct dealing with problems : theoretical rather than practical"). That
> analogy certainly works for "philosopher" and "engineer", which can take
> either
> modifier. But it doesn't always correspond -- would-be mechanics are more
> likely
> to hold forth under the shade tree, while would-be quarterbacks and
> generals are
> restricted to the armchair.

I take it not as "wannabe" or "theoretical", but as "amateur",
"non-professional" (in several senses): one who works on his car, and maybe
his neighbor's, out in the yard, as opposed to somebody who's got a properly
equipped garage. In fact, it's "practical" (and practicing but not licensed)
as opposed to "theoretical" (and trained). This fits with the quotations we
started with, sent by Larry Horn:

======================
> I was a good shade-tree mechanic
> So I sent myself to school
> They smoothed out my rough edges
> In my hand they put new tools
>
> No help from the usual sources, but urbandictionary.com comes through
> nicely:
>
> A person willing to learn and perform scheduled maintenance or simple
> repairs on their own vehicle rather than being completely reliant on
> technicians who may be dishonest, careless, or ignorant.

m a m