ADS-L Digest - 22 Feb 2009 to 23 Feb 2009 (#2009-55)

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 26 18:41:48 UTC 2009

I checked both mw and ahd sites, and the only spoken pronunciation I
found on either was /dZVst/.  I heard no /dZIst/ and no /dZi"st/
(where /i"/ is barred-i, a high central unrounded vowel).  The /dZust/
pronunciation on the mw site is specifically an archaic pronunciation
of "joust," probably reflecting its pronunciation before the Great
Vowel Shift.  It's a different word.  The problem with these
dictionary pronunciations is that they are citation forms, not forms
as used in sentences.  That will inevitably change pronunciation.  The
adverbial form is frequently transcribed with a schwa /dZ at st/, which
isn't a bad choice.  Phonetically, that schwa gets raised to a
barred-i /i"/ because of the palato-alveolar affricate before it, just
as the unstressed vowel in the suffix -ing frequently comes out as a
barred-i because of the velar nasal following it.

Herb.