pron of Worcester, MA

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri Feb 27 00:13:49 UTC 2009

Wistuh is a variant that's associated with the
towns north of Worcester, spec. the
Leominster-Fitchburg area.

Wuhstuh is the standard local pron.

Woosta is nonstandard, with a mark of foreignness
to it. It's what newcomers approximate the
standard pron. as. I remember my Belmont born and
raised mother using this pron.

I don't even try to fake it: I say "Wuh-ster." No, I'm not from around here.

---Amy West
4 yrs residing in Worcester,
8 yrs working here