Ethnic-based terms of contempt

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 27 00:49:22 UTC 2009

At 6:28 PM -0500 2/26/09, Mark Mandel wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>>  At 3:42 PM -0500 2/26/09, Bill Palmer wrote:
>>>  ? In US English many are ethnic -based, such as=20
>>>"Indian giver", "Dutch courage", "Chinese=20
>>>fire-drill", "French leave", "Irish pennant"=20
>>>(this one may be unique to the US Navy).
>>>
>>>How many others are there? ? I'm wondering if=20
>>>this is uniquely American. ? Probably not, but=20
>>>are we more predisposed to it?
>>>
>>>Bill Palmer
>>
>>  Many many. ? I posted on this a few years back and=20
>>  suggested calling them "ethnonyms".
>
>Except that "ethnonym" has a well-established use as "A proper name by
>which a people or ethnic group is known; spec. one which it calls
>itself." (OED) For the latter subsense I prefer "aut(o)ethnonym".
>
>m a m

Oops.  Actually I didn't suggest calling them "ethnonyms".  What I
suggested calling them was "ironyms".
Here are some sample posts from 2003 and 2005:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0302B&L=ADS-L&P=R6524&I=-3

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0504A&L=ADS-L&P=R9493&I=-3

The latter contains a reference to what Alan Dundes told me
folklorists called (what I call) ironyms, viz. "blason populaire".
Sounds pretty French for us types, though.

For all I know, someone else called something else "ironym" too, but
I don't know for a fact that they did.

LH

P.S.  Where did those =20's come from?