Antedating of "break a leg" (1940)--correction, now 1925

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 27 01:24:41 UTC 2009

My German is virtually nonexistent, but I have it on good (native)
authority that "Hals und Beine" is widespread, today even without the verb.

I will break a rule and cite something without source because it may
suggest where to look. When I first heard someone talk about the origin
of the phrase s/he suggested that it went back to (at least) burlesque,
which may well explain the German connection as well as push it at least
into the early 1920s if not all the way back to the turn of the century.

If I get a precise reference, I'll be happy to share it.