"Soldier"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 27 19:35:41 UTC 2009

At 12:36 PM -0500 2/27/09, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>It is not literally accurate, but synecdoche sez it's A-OK.
>
>Objections to the usage in this sort of generalized context are not
>linguistically based.
>
>In *theory*, "marines," "sailors," or "airmen" would do just as well, but
>English hasn't developed that way.
>
>Homer Simpson: "Marge, I agree with you -- in *theory.* In *theory,*
>Communism works. In *theory.*"
>
>JL
>
>On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Bill Palmer <w_a_palmer at bellsouth.net>wrote:

>>  -----------------------
>>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  Poster:       Bill Palmer <w_a_palmer at BELLSOUTH.NET>
>>  Subject:      Re: "Soldier"

>>  There are many alternatives e.g.,"military members" "personnel", "members
>>  of
>>  the armed forces", etc. but he chose "soldiers", which is inaccurate.
>>
>>  Bill Palmer

It might be worth noting that none of the above is a basic level
category in Rosch's sense, and so doesn't really threaten the
invocation of "soldier" as a natural (if inaccurate) label.  I'm
reminded of a thread we had many years ago that was set off by a
Times Magazine article containing the claim that one reason for the
spread of "queer" as an inclusive lexical label, despite its history
as a slur, is the fact that "gay" can't serve as a cover term because
"technically" it only applies to men.  Who decides on what the
technical or accurate use is in such cases, especially if we're
talking about articles in the popular press, as in the original
stories (CBS News, etc.) and the term is an autohyponym in ordinary
usage?

LH