pron. of just

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 27 19:59:28 UTC 2009

Schwa stands for lots of sounds for most notations.  Take "dirigible" as pronounced and foespeld in m-w.com,
di·ri·gi·ble  Pronunciation:\ˈdir-ə-jə-bəl, də-ˈri-jə-\
There are three schwas here, non having the "uh" sound. (if the copy/paste comes out.)

When the second "i" was stressed above it was spelled as a short i, but when not stressed it was spelled as a schwa.  Why should stress change the notation of the same sound?  The last syllable has a schwa but is pronounced as in bull ~bool not "uh".

Schwa is a catch all for unstressed vowels.  It often stands for short i, short u, short oo and others.  A stressed vowel should never be foespeld a schwa.  In fact any notation that uses schwa is not as accurate as truespel which spells them all out.

see truespel.com

> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:25:00 -0600
> From: gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
> Subject: pron. of just
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Matthew Gordon
> Subject: pron. of just
>
> The first pronunciation of 'just' listed by m-w.com is /j at st/ where /@/=
> schwa. I think most of us would argue that this IS the usual pronunciation
> of adj. 'just' and even of adv. 'just' at least when it bears some stress in
> a sentence. They use a schwa there b/c that's the usual phonetic symbol for
> this sound (or one of them anyway).
>

> On 2/27/09 1:00 PM, "Tom Zurinskas" wrote:
>> ... I don't think anyone would argue that the
>> first pronunciation of "just" by m-w.com is usual. It's a solid short u. Why
>> m-w.com uses a schwa there I'll never know. Unfortunately, for all short u's
>> they use \ \ as u in abut, (an upside down "e" that apparently won't copy
>> paste) . Very very unfortunate notation. Everyone understands using a letter
>> "u" for the "uh" sound.

Windows Live™: Discover 10 secrets about the new Windows Live.
http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637!7540.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_ugc_post_022009