pron of Worcester, MA

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 27 22:02:43 UTC 2009

FWIW, Latin Grammar by Robert J. Henle, SJ, the one that I used in
high school, gave three possible pronunciation schemes (using only C
in my examples), which the compiler called

Roman : C = [k] in all positions
_Italian_ : C = [tS] before I, E, AE, OE; [k] elsewhere
Traditional : C = [s] (ditto)

That is, Alison's supposition is almost certainly correct.

For reasons possibly known only to the Pope, we used the "Italian"
pronunciation at the altar, but the "Traditional" pronunciation in
class.

-Wilson
–––
-----