"Soldier"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 27 22:55:31 UTC 2009

Actually, the use of correct terminology is, in one sense, important to more
and more.  There was a time when Marines (note my careful capitalization to
refer especially to U.S. Marines) - enlisted Marines in particular - were
not as sensitive about being referred to now and again as "soldiers"
(even among themselves if one believes AEF novelists Thomas Boyd and William
March). Back then, there were far fewer Marines (about 20,000 in all), and
the Corps had not yet awakened to the subtle magic of public relations.

WWII, however, saw a tremendous increase in Marine personnel along with a
now officially enforced insistence onobserving the distinction between
"Marine" and "soldier."  (I doubt that any American much cared whether they
called foreign marines "soldiers" or not.)

Part of the increased post-1918 sensitivity also came from the fact that
there were frequent Congressional rumblings that merging the Marine Corps
with the Army would save a bundle of money.  Emphasizing that "Marines" were
not "soldiers" (never capitalized, even when "Army" is) was partly an
attempt to discourage such thinking.

JL