French folk etymology: bleu-jaune

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 28 21:47:41 UTC 2009

I don't understand your reply, Mark. You say that, according to
Wikipedia, there's no connection, then you provide a cite from
Wikipedia that shows that there *is* a connection.

FWIW, the subtitling was provided by an old friend of mine, the late
Martin "Marty" Minow, a nephew of the better-known Newton "Television
Is a Vast Wasteland" Minow. Though he never specifically stated that
there was a connection between the two movies - well, given that the
titles refer to the colors of the Swedish flag, there cannot *not* be
*some* connection between the two, unless you want to claim that the
colors of the Swedish flag are themselves accidental - he also never
said anything to indicate that they had nothing to do with each other.

"While in Sweden, I helped translate three Swedish films:  I am
Curious Yellow, I am Curious Blue, and They Call Us Mods."

http://www.merrymeet.com/minow/

Again, FWIW, a Swedish friend told me that, essentially, the colors of
the Swedish flag commemorate the miraculous appearance of a gold cross
against a blue sky that assured the Swedes that it was indeed God's
will that they conquer the Finns and dispossess them of of their land,
Manifest Destiny-style.

-Wilson
–––
-----