antedating of 'ho' -- from an unexpected speaker, too

Doug Harris cats22 at STNY.RR.COM
Thu Jan 1 00:06:12 UTC 2009

I just stumbled upon an interesting quote in Earl Wilson's
Unauthorized Biography of Frank Sinatra:
The quote, from the Nov 17-23, 1973 TV Guide, runs to
several paragraphs, in which Sinatra talked about why he'd
retired and why he was retiring from retiring. But note this
reference to the the press of the day, with whom he seldom
got along:
"I'm blunt and honest. I could easily call them pimps and ho's."
In parentheses, Wilson added: "He presumably meant whores."
dh

Prepared and sent with Chaos Software's Intellect mail client.
Intellect's contacts and appointments managers also are cool.