WOTY - now fortified with Grant Barrett!

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 1 01:44:46 UTC 2009

"obituary building"  Why else do folks do things.

Learn truespel in 15 minutes at http://tinypaste.com/76f44

> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:18:39 -0500
> From: listcatcher at REXSTOCKLIN.COM
> Subject: WOTY - now fortified with Grant Barrett!
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: "Rex W. Stocklin"
> Subject: WOTY - now fortified with Grant Barrett!
>
> As I am unaware of an appropriate blog or some such vehicle to leave
> a comment, I'd like to expand on Grant's entry into the WOTY noms:
>
>>age-doping: The falsification of records to show that an athlete
>>meets participation requirements for a sporting event. This issue
>>arose with Chinese gymnasts in the Beijing Summer Olympics.
>
> I'd like to say a similar phenomenon occurs when, say, creating one's
> resume'. That is, the intentional deletion of jobs & other
> year-specific data that date the potential applicant as "too old" (I
> suppose, going the other direction, manufacturing jobs & education
> data is a form of youth-oriented age-doping. But neither the missus
> nor I have ANY experience in such an endeavor as we have done plenty
> of the former)
>
> I'd also LOVE to see a countering term for TBTF, perhaps TBTB (as in
> too big to be, a concept in which one considers an enterprise that
> shouldn't exist due to its insouciant, inefficient and/or consumptive
> existence)
>
> Just a shot from the cheap seats...
> Rex Stocklin
> Fishers, IN

Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032870/direct/01/