Top 10 Language Stories of 2008

David Metevia djmetevia at CHARTERMI.NET
Fri Jan 2 13:18:02 UTC 2009

Tom Zurinskas wrote:

2. As for protecting languages that need no protection, a Federal judge
in Wichita ruled that a private school had broken no laws when it
declared English the school's official language and banned students from
speaking anything else. The ban on foreign languages was instituted to
combat bullying, but the school's principal didn't indicate whether she
would outlaw English as well if students bullied one another in that
language.

comment.  The point is to communicate.  I have no problem with this.

If the point is to communicate, then there is no need to ban the
speaking of other languages.  In fact, I propose the more languages
available to the students, the greater the ability to communicate.

DJM