positive polarity "can help it"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 5 22:18:16 UTC 2009

The quoted sentence doesn't work for me. To me, "X can help it" has to
either be negated --
  She always cries at that song, she can't help it
-- or be the condition of a negated (preposed) protasis --
    They won't VP if I can help it.

    Fred's says he's going to tear down the tent.
    Not if I can help it!

Mark Mandel