more on prepositions

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 8 15:56:14 UTC 2009

I really doubt that there's any connection whatsoever in BE between
"hit on," approach sexually, and "hate on." It's not even necessary to
give any consideration to this possibility. "Hit on," in that form,
originally meant "to beat." Cf. the early-'Fifties song by Buddy
Johnson and Sister Ella, "Hittin' On Me" (I don't want no man / Always
_hittin' on_ me") - and "hate on." "Hit on" in the sense of "approach
sexually" died back in the 'Sixties. This I first heard from a friend
on furlough from service in the Korean War as "I'm going to hit on her
and see whether she comes in out of the rain." Over the course of time
this was eroded to the point that it fell together with "hit on"
meaning "beat".

However, I have no problem at all believing that "hate on" is
historically, syntactically, and semantically connected to the older
"hit on" meaning "beat." Here, I mean "older" in the sense of, "older
than 'hit on' in the sense of 'approach sexually.'" And, of couse, I'm
well aware that a persson can be hit on for a vast number of favors
other than sexual. Buts things didn't start out that way.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain