Forteh: UK pronunciation

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 8 21:57:35 UTC 2009

I pronounce "tilde" (~) with a short e, TIL-deh ~tilde rather than TIL-duh ~tildu.  m-w.com says TIL-duh.

Lately I've been thinking that "the", the most common word in English, is more often said with a short e than short u, ~the rather than ~thu.  m-w.com says short u.  Granted it's a fleeting word and not a big deal, but since "the" is the most used word in English, it's interesting if you're counting phonemes.

Learn truespel in 15 minutes at http://tinypaste.com/76f44

> Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:48:57 -0500
> From: mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
> Subject: Re: Forteh: UK pronunciation
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Michael Covarrubias
> Subject: Re: Forteh: UK pronunciation
>
> Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>> Are there any words spoken by a majority of the public in the US that
>> end in an open "e"? It didn't even occur to me to consider such a
>> difference, but yes, I intended "for tay."
>>

> the only one i can think of right now is "meh"
>
> well then i guess "feh" too...

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.