"come to Limerick" antedate and Limerick (verse) etymology suggestion (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Jan 12 17:04:10 UTC 2009

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Slightly earlier still . . .

The Wisconsin State Register, (Portage, WI) Saturday, May 11, 1861;
Issue 8; page 1 col D
"We are ready to "come to Limerick," when 'tis necessary -- cat foul
meat, fouler bread, or any other rations known in the history of the
Mexican or Revolutionary war; but in this land of plenty, where potatoes
are selling at the low price of two shillings a bushel, and beef most
"demnition" cheap, we humbly appeal for murphies that are not half
rotten and t'other half as watery as though they had soaked eleven years
in the Dead Sea."