INGs

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 13 20:30:20 UTC 2009

One more point on too-ing and fro-ing:  for many speakers/writers,
the idiom itself in its bare form is "too and fro".  There are 117K
hits for this, of which the first is a recasting of the age-old
question,

Do your balls hang low,
Can you swing them too and fro?
http://ask.metafilter.com/65459/Do-you-balls-hang-low-Can-you-swing-them-too-and-fro

And however one analyzes "to and fro" in such contexts, the
conversion presupposed by the gerund form makes it even weirder or
more arbitrary to treat a preposition like "to" as a verb or
whatever.  Not that adverbial "too" is any more transparent, but if
you're just guessing, it's not too surprising that you might come up
with "too and fro"/"too-ing and fro-ing" rather than "to and
fro"/"too-ing and fro-ing".

LH