"bring her to Limerick" 1862 and Limericks

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 14 15:08:36 UTC 2009

Whatever the ultimate rationale behind "come/ bring to Limerick," the
expression is rare in print.  If it originally alluded to the Siege (and it
well may have) one would expect to find early Anglo-Irish exx.  Are there
any?

Of course, if the phrase had long been local to some part of Ireland, such
written evidence may not be findable. It may be significant that it appears
in the U.S. not long after the Great Emigrations of 1848-52.  Many (most?)
of these exx. are from the U.S. Army, especially the Union Army, which had
a large number of recent Irish immigrants in its ranks.

The connection between the siege of Corinth and the Siege of Limerick is, to
me, most likely coincidental. Besides the defs. of "come to limerick" in
HDAS (based on the cites then available), and besides "face the
music,"  perhaps we should add the nuance "to end one's resistance."  "Bring
to Limerick" would be "to force surrender or compliance."

If the phrase really refers to the Williamite War, my guess is that the
Treaty of Limerick, which ratified the Jacobite surrender, is the intended
referent. In that case, "make X come to Limerick" = "make X surrender."

JL