Possible partial eggcorn: portcullis >> fort colours

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 18 15:06:03 UTC 2009

At 1:35 PM +0000 1/18/09, Damien Hall wrote:
>A three-year-old speaker of Southern English BrE of my acquaintaince
>recently said
>
>[fO:t k^l at z]
>
>for 'portcullis'.

Not to be confused with "torticollis", a.k.a. "tortoise collar",
which Mark Mandel commented on here in Sept. 2000:

I heard an acquaintance (educational level high school only, I think) say
"tortoise collar" for "torticollis" (a medical condition in which the neck
is more or less permanently twisted so the head is not facing forward).

I'd take the port > fort part of the current reanalysis to be a
standard eggcornish folk etymology.  There are supposedly 1.8
*million* g-hits for "fortcullis", although google does ask helpfully
whether I mean "portcullis".

LH