Is That an Emoticon in 1862? in NYT

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 20 00:27:51 UTC 2009

Doesn't the "ProQuest team" care that the so-called "emoticons" cited from
the humor magazine _Puck_ didn't even appear till nearly *twenty years
later* and were not reportage; they were a joke.  (As the glib statement
that the "semicolon has long been jettisoned as an anachronism" clearly is
not.)  If we're lucky, the whole boondoggle is just a subliminal ad for
Proquest, God bless 'em.

Nobody in their right mind in 1862 would have interpreted a semicolon as an
emoticon. How could they?

If the PQ team had consulted me, little of my reply would have been as
restrained as Fred's.  In fact, none of it.

JL