stepgrandparents and relational ambiguity

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 22 15:17:25 UTC 2009

At 1/22/2009 07:56 AM, Charles Doyle wrote:

>In Elizabethan English (and other dialects), the
>specifiers "step-," "half-," and "-in-law" can
>disappear, much to the confusion of present-day
>students (as in the deadly riddle told at the
>beginning of Shakespeare's _Pericles_).

And into the 18th century also, where many kinds
of relations -- and I think close friends too --
would be called "brother", "sister", or
"cousin".  (Noted in M. Halsey Thomas's Introduction to Sewall's Diary.)

Joel