If U Seek Amy

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Jan 23 05:45:16 UTC 2009

To clarify, Google Books does have one apparently pre-Joyce use, from the 1912 Decennial Record of the Princeton class of 1901:  "If you see Kay Swain, tell him to mail me at once the fifty cents I won from him
in the Yale game at Princeton, when we bet on who led the Princeton batting ...

My assumption is that this is not a pun on "fuck," but it's hard to be sure, and this is all that Google Books gives me.

John Baker

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Baker, John
Sent: Thu 1/22/2009 9:52 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: If U Seek Amy

        While I don't want to stand in the way of further research, I
suspect that it cannot now be determined whether this is something Joyce
made up or is instead what it purports to be, a clever vulgar street
rhyme.  FWIW, Google Books has nothing earlier, but that's to be
expected and is consistent with both possibilities.

John Baker