Heard on The Judges: localisms

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 23 13:27:22 UTC 2009

No doubt, Ron. And, also on The Judges, I heard a forty-ish white male
speaker with a down-home accent say:

"I was really pissed _behind_ that!"

"Behind" = "as a consequence of" is "standard" in BE, but this was the
first time that I've ever heard a white person use it.

Another minor anomaly is the fact that my mother, who otherwise speaks
as you would expect - a whole lot like Judge Jenny, but with more of a
drawl (the judge is young enough to be my daughter and from Atlanta;
my mother is 97) - pronounces "closet" as [klazIt]. I've never been
able to figure out why she doesn't say [klOwzIt]. It's about as
strange as hearing FDR use "y'all" while otherwise retaining the
dialect that we know he had.

-Wilson
–––
-----