Eggcorn? "push as come to shove"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 25 05:45:16 UTC 2009

This may be a slip. Google has only four other examples.

FWIW, there exists a reprint version of a book with a title something
like "Lexicon of the Speech of South Alabama Negroes" or some such -
at Widener, it forms a volume of a so-called "monograph serial" with
the Widener call-number, L[earned]Soc[iety] 9XX and I have a copy of
the relevant number, but in storage, unfortunately. IAC, this book
lists "when push comes to shove" as a peculiarity of  AB BE in the
19th c.

Has no one here ever heard of this book? IIRC, it's an ADS reprint.

-Wilson

-----
-Mark Twain