Heard on The Judges: "bartend(e)ress"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 25 17:34:05 UTC 2009

At 5:15 PM +0000 1/25/09, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>I agree with Larry that "barmaid" and "bartender" have different
>meanings. But why not just "bartender"? The -ess morpheme is still
>(unfortunately) conventional in "actress" but not needed elsewhere.

And there's still time to nip it in the bud here.  Google scores for

"She's a bartender"   1350
"She's a bartendress"      3

LH

(Even the -ess of "actress" is falling into disrepute in some
quarters because of its markedness, as we've discussed here in the
past and as will likely be on at least some display at the Oscars.)