Limerick, Copperheads, nonsense, etc.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 25 17:54:05 UTC 2009

Stephen, if by "Limerick stanza" you mean the formal stanza that defines the
modern limerick, I'd say there is no reason at all to assume an Irish
origin.  I've seen at least one ex. of  the five-line AABBA stanza from 18th
C. England. (Of course,  it wasn't identified as a "limerick," or as
anything in particular.)

JL