Re: Heard on The Jud ges: "bartend(e)ress"

Sun Jan 25 18:08:04 UTC 2009

Huh? What I said is as follows:

"I agree with Larry that "barmaid" and "bartender" have different meanings.
But why not just "bartender"? The -ess morpheme is still (unfortunately)
conventional in "actress" but not needed elsewhere."

No contradiction: "-ness"is needed in "actress" because the sexist convention
(unfortunately, as I see it) is (still?) quite strong.

I agree that "hostess" is still common, but it does not seem to me to be so
conventionally imperative as "actress" (and then only in restuarants, where
some people seem to balk at calling a woman a "maitre de").

"Headmaster" is not a word I use commonly, and I am not sure how many women
still call themselves "Headmistresses," but I would expect it is a shrinking
number, given the sexual connotations of "mistress". Of course, there are
portions of modern culture for which both both "headmaster" and "headmistress" sound
primarily like porn-film titles.