"mixmash" eggcorn?

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Jan 26 17:02:11 UTC 2009

a comment by Netty on the Language Log posting "snarge"
   http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1066

Oh sorry, it is all in English. I don't divide the two languages
sometimes. In our house it is a mixmash of English and German!

then from Steve:

@ Netty: Mixmash? I've always said mishmash, myself. (And said it, not
written it, so |I'm not absolutely sure about the spelling. Should it
be two words or hyphenated perhaps?) Anyway, is it just me? Is mixmash
a variant (131,000 google hits, as opposed to 1,570,000 for mishmash)
or is it an eggcorn? Judging from the first few google hits, mixmash
seems to have a specific meaning in the world of dance music -
whereas, despite a certain bias towards the worlds of clothing and
cookery, mishmash seems to have a more general meaning.

most of the hits seem to have to do with Mix Mash Records or MixMash
software.  and then there's Maggi Cold Mix Mash, a mashed potato mix.
some others look like intentional play, as in:

   A mix mash of different work - Conceptual Mixed Media by Artist
www.culturehall.com/work.html?id=2984

there might be some genuine eggcorning in there, but it's hard to find.

arnold