Towns and Townships

Alison Murie sagehen7470 at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 26 20:39:36 UTC 2009

The town meeting is still alive & well in Vermont, but I don't know if
the term "township" is still used.  In the same latitudes in New York,
what would be called a "township" in Ohio is called a "town." Within
the town there are self-governing "villages" up to (possibly) as many
as 10,000 inhabitants. Very small settlements are called "hamlets" &
are subject to the governing body of the "town."
AM