ADS-L Digest - 24 Jan 2009 to 25 Jan 2009 (#2009-26)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 27 18:16:03 UTC 2009

I agree with Larry and Jesse, though, in my personal experience, i.e.,
I have no idea of what evidence the OED provides in support of sense
4, so I'm not going to present this as a general refutation of it, the
use of "nigger" by black speakers to refer to any random non-black
male in *any* reading is new to me, definitely a phenomenon of the
post-rap / hip-hop generation. *I* know this use primarily from The
Chappelle Show. E.g., there's a sketch in which Dave says to a waiter,
"Get this nigger a drink! [Git dis nigga a drank!]," wherein the
"nigger" is an Asian. In the adult (in the non-porn sense) animated
series, The Boondocks, all male characters of whatever race or
ethniicity are routinely referred to as "niggers." As Gin, a whigger,
explains, "When I say 'nigga,' I don' mean no racis' disrespec'. A
'nigga' is a stoopid muthafucka of *innih* race."

This is a kind of sick in-joke. (Aaron McGruder, the writer and artist
of the original comic strip and producer and senior writer of the
animated cartoon is black.) As long as I've been living, I've heard
un- or under-educated black people attempt to argue that "nigger"
applies to "stoopid muthafuckas" of any race - even though it would
never have occurred to any of these people themselves to refer to
anyone else except another black person as a "nigger" - and not
specifically to black Americans of whatever degree of intellectual
acumen. It's a kind of pitiful mirror-image of the argument that the
"Semitic" of "anti--Semitic" - or should that be anti-*Semetic*? -
refers to all peoples of Semitic / Semetic language and / or heritage
and not specifically to Jews.

-Wilson
–––
-----