Heard on The Judges: "bartend(e)ress"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 28 01:17:58 UTC 2009

At 4:56 PM -0800 1/27/09, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com> wrote:
>This past weekend the Screen Actors' Guild gave out its awards,
>including "Best Female Actor", so we have to assume it is now
>official.
>
>However, despite people's desire to be hip and the attraction of
>novel ways of saying things, there is immense conservatism in
>language.  The word "actress" has been in wide usage for ever;
>however much you might wish it to go away, it won't.
>
>Another word that will stick around for the same reason is "waitress".
>
>On the other "bartendress" is a new word that hasn't been around
>long or been in wide circulation.  I predict it will soon vanish
>into oblivion, to get resurrected every few years and still not
>catch on.
>
>Why the persistence of "actress" even though cross-gender roles are
>traditional (as in the move "Shakespeare in Love")?  Because people,
>of any gender, react differently to a man on stage as opposed to a
>woman.  Similarly, customers at a restaurant or cocktail lounge have
>different reactions to a male or a female waitperson.

Somehow I'm reminded of Fowler's argument for why we need to
establish the lexical item "doctoress", on the grounds that "Everyone
knows the inconvenience of being uncertain whether a
doctor is a man or a woman; hesitation in establishing the word
doctoress is amazing in a people regarded as nothing if not
practical".  Fowler also pushed for "editress" and "inspectress" on
the same grounds.

Evidently, we don't find such uncertainty all *that* inconvenient
after all, and I think we might gradually come to feel the same about
our servers in bars and restaurants.

LH

P.S.  Shout-out to Dennis Baron, whose book _Language and Gender_ is
the first place I recall coming across that Fowler quote.