Heard on The Judges: " -nim" in possessive

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 29 20:33:36 UTC 2009

Larry, you know that "th(em)" is pronounced "th([i}m}"! What are you
doing, allowing yourself to be seduced by spelling? And since -nim
always has secondary stress - amongst the colored at least - you're
not going to hear anyone saying "mama-n[@]m." Rather, you may hear
"mama-n[I@]," with shwa (I use the spelling, "shwa," because I want
to, and not in error) being a mere off-glide as the speaker "holds his
mouth" [cf. the expression, "hold one's mouth right" display the
proper, respectful demeanor] to pronounce the /m/.

Sledd, James. 1966. "Breaking, Umlaut, and the Southern Drawl."
Language 42: 18 –41.

-Wilson
–––
-----