"New Orleans," pronunciation thereof

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 2 01:34:09 UTC 2009

All my life I said "New Or-LEENs" (note the "r"). Then I met people from
there who ridiculed me because they said "NAWlins" only.  They were my age,
so that pronunciation must have been standard in the 1950s if not before.

Reminds me of a note I posted a few years back about (Anglo) characters in
1930s movies saying "Los Angeleez," with a [g].

JL