strangled

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 2 06:46:07 UTC 2009

FWIW, I've been strangled, but  obviously not killed. I was just
beginning to black out - or is that "black-out"? - when the  other
guy, an older and bigger kid pretending to be a giant, a troll, or
some such in some stupid ex-tempore game, somehow had the sense to let
go of my throat.

-Wilson

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Dave Wilton<dave at wilton.net> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: strangled
>
> I think the accepted proper usage is exactly the opposite. To strangle
> someone is to kill them by choking. To be hanged is to die by hanging. To be
> drowned is to die by water filling the lungs.
>
> Only "shot" and "stone" may result in the victim living.
>
> I can't find this in any of my usage manuals though.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain