"hiking the Appalachian trail" as a second-order euphemism

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 2 21:30:08 UTC 2009

That didn't take long.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-cesca/time-for-president-obama_b_224865.html
Bob Cesca on Huffington Post; his COCS acronym stands for "the
Coalition Of the Corrupt and Spineless", i.e. "the Democratic
Senators who have very obviously been bought off by the healthcare
lobby, along with other almost-as-awful Democrats whose cowardice is
only matched by their weakness of will"

===================
There can be no denying that the COCS are flagrantly and
unapologetically legislating against -- what's the word? --
overwhelming super-majority popular support for the public health
insurance option. And why is that? I can't recall another example in
recent memory when the collusion of lobbyists, corporate PACs and
members of the United States Senate has been this obvious. We can
only conclude that the COCS are entirely ignoring the will of the
American people because they're hiking the Appalachian Trail with the
healthcare industrial complex.

where "hiking the A.T." = being metaphorically in bed with

LH