acronym for

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Fri Jul 3 22:54:53 UTC 2009

Mark Mandel wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Charles Cunningham
> <cjc3esq at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Synonym?
>>

> ISTM quite possible that the author was reaching for "synonym" and
> retrieved "acronym" instead. Anyone care to look for instances of
> "synonym" in this sort of sense?

My hunch agrees with yours.

====
http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/travel_destinations.html
France is a synonym for exceptional culinary arts and famous chefs.
====
http://www.italymag.co.uk/italy-featured/three-best-italian-lounge-chairs
Italy is a synonym for modern design.
====
http://www.theparliament.com/latestnews/news-article/newsarticle/michel-delebarre/
Firstly, Europe is a synonym for peace.
====
http://medienservice.land-der-ideen.de/en/ms,20591,0,category-58-p-2.html
For Aino Haverinen Europe is a synonym for a kind of journey.
====
http://www.blacktable.com/gillin030110.htm
14. Midwestern is a synonym for "naïve."
15. California is a synonym for "shallow."
====
http://pigsmeat.wordpress.com/
That's visual economy, especially when you consider that for McClane
"California" is a synonym for "fag" [...]
====

Chris Waigl
aware that none of these are synonyms, the way I understand the word