Request: 1971 cartoon with "la grande pomme" (The Big Apple)

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Sat Jul 4 16:02:24 UTC 2009

In an attempt to be helpful, helpful sort that I am, I did a google on la
grande pomme, did not find anything relevant, but found this and thought it
worth sharing: "This photo was taken a few weeks ago in the Brooklyn
neighborhood called "DUMBO" (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass)..."
Heh. Cute, no?
DAD (http://chitlinsandcamembert.blogspot.com/2007/10/la-grande-pomme.html)

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there
-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Cohen, Gerald Leonard
Sent: Saturday, July 04, 2009 11:56 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Request: 1971 cartoon with "la grande pomme" (The Big Apple)

In 1971 (maybe 1972)  I saw a cute cartoon soon after "The Big Apple"
started to be popularized internationally as NYC's nickname.  IIRC, it
showed a ship passing by the Statue of Liberty, and a young French woman is
excitedly telling her mother: "Oh, maman, la grande pomme!"

I'm trying to find that cartoon again but am having difficulty doing so.  If
anyone could help in this, I'd be very grateful.

Gerald Cohen