Oxford Dictionary of Modern Slang [1992, 2005] ...

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sun Jul 5 14:20:39 UTC 2009

Wilson, I remember from my son's elementary school days that the school nurse's periodic checks for head lice hardly ever discovered any on the heads of the Black kids.  Expanations for that absence ranged from "styling" applications (chemicals, heat combs) to the structure or texture of the hair itself.  Of course, hygienically-obsessed middle-class White parents often suffered chagrin at the apparent inequity . . . .

--Charlie