cooties

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Jul 7 02:00:31 UTC 2009

I mentioned this to my wife, Margaret Winters, who grew up in Brooklyn about the same time as several others on this list, and she recalled the term 'cootie garage' for the curled-up hair around the ears that I associate with Princess Leia. She remembered it from the book _Cheaper by the dozen_, 1948, a memoir of the twenties.
A quick google turned up an entry from DARE:

'Cootie garage'  n. [cootie n 1]. joc
Human hair (esp in a particularly puffy hairstyle) where lice might live.
1922. Lewis. Babbit 342, Hey, leggo, quit crushing me cootie-garage.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)