"mannery"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jul 7 16:00:51 UTC 2009

At 7/7/2009 10:54 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>Nor am I, but I can't help wondering whether "manneries" in the
>plural might not have had an alternate career as a way of
>representing those oversize chests on certain individuals of a male
>persuasion, the kind for which the "manzeer" or "bro" were proposed
>(by, if memory serves, Mr. Constanza).

This makes me wonder, not knowing the full context, whether "mannery"
refers to the jewelry, or rather the place whereon it is
placed.  Analagous to (esp.?) nunnery -- and I see the OED has for
"-ery":  "b. In modern, chiefly U.S., use, after bakery (= baker's
shop or works), and similar words, this suffix has gained
considerable currency in denoting 'a place where an indicated article
or service may be purchased or procured'"  Or found?

Joel