"fuckery"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jul 8 19:55:11 UTC 2009

At 7/8/2009 12:02 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
> > You're welcome.  It seems to be genuine, from the title page.  And
> > ignore the 18th century hits; they're likely merely instances of the
> > "Vicar of Dibley" phenomenon.  (See the OED's 1538 spelling.)
> >

>What is the ""Vicar of Dibley" phenomenon"?  (I'm a moderate fan of the
>show.)

I'm so glad you asked!  As I remember the episode (which I find is
"Songs of Praise"):

Vicar Geraldine has received an 18th-century Bible.  There is some
discussion and reading of the old-style printing, including the "long
s".  Ditsy verger Alice is to read a passage at the Sunday
service.  The episode ends with Alice about to read "And he shall be
thy succour".

[This does not appear to be literally a Bible passage.  However, ...]

Joel